I am back to blogging after a short break. First I would like to thank my co-bloggers and friends for making my first blog anniversary event a successful one. Hope everyone had a great start of 2015 wish you a perfect and happy year ahead.
Today I am going to share an easy yet perfect combo for idlies and Dosa... If you are in a hurry and no time to cook dal or to grind masala for your tiffin sambar, you can consider this Kadalai mavu sambar. As the name states, we are going to use gram flour as substitute of dal. And the ingredients are little different than usual sambar. Lets see how to prepare this.
Onion - 1 medium (cut lenghtwise)
Tomato - 2 big (chopped)
Veggies - 2 cups (approx) (Prefer veggies like, eggplant, drumstick,carrot, beans, potato, flat beans, butterbeans, soya beans etc)
Green chilies - 4-5
turmeric - 1/2 tsp
tamarind - a peanut sized (soak in 1/2 cup of warm water)
coriander leaves a few
Kadalai mavu / Besan flour - 2-3 tbsp
salt- as needed
fennel seeds - 1 tsp
bay leaf - 1
Oil - 2 tsp
Oil - 2 tsp
mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
urad dal - 1 tsp
curry leaves - a few
red chili - 1 (if the green chilies were not hot enough)
1.In a kadai / pan heat 2 tsp of oil and add fennel seeds, bay leaf , cut onions,green chilies one by one and saute for a while.
2.Then add Veggies and saute for a minute, Then add chopped tomato and saute.
3. Now add turmeric powder and saute until the raw smell leaves.
4. add the tamarind extract water, along with 3-4 cups of water
5.Add salt and cover with lid, and let the veggies cook soft.
6. mix besan flour with required water and keep aside. (should not be too thick)
7. When the veggies are cooked, add the basen mix and stir with ladle simultaneously.
8. Let it boil for few mins, this helps the besan flour to get cooked, and make the sambar to the right consistency. (based on the consistency adjust, by adding little more water or by letting it cook for few more mins)
9.Temper sambar with listed items, and add chopped coriander and serve.
1. Choose tangy tomatoes for best taste.
2. This tastes best with Idli and Dosai.
3. Doesnt suit for rice, mini idli , pongal or sambar vadai etc.
4. It gets thicken while refrigerating, so while reheating add a little water and heat.
5.adding tamarind is optional. you can add extra tomatoes if needed.
Serve hot with hot idlies or crispy dosa :)